Sunday, November 21, 2010

twitterin' the day away pt1

Well, that didn't work. Tried to write the blog with the ipad but no good. Then again,I seemto have problems with blogger no matter what I'm using.

Off sick today (fromchildren minding duties) so I'm playing catch-up and decided I'll start with twitter.

My twitterid/name/thingy is msparkinson if anyone wants to follow me.

Edit: Whoopise - did i forget to do this part? I think I did.

Twitter! I like me some twitter. Its agreat way of dripfeeding constant information in tiny bite sized chunks! I have a number of library people that I follow and I'm getting constantly bombarded by interesting library related posts and information that I have no way of being able to consume. So theres that. As a basis for your personal learning network its a great tool (oooo, i used a buzz word). Then theres using twitter as a library tool - interacting with members and pushing out information about the library. Very good for marketting and communication and if you have someone sitting on the librarys twitter account all day keeping tabs on whats going down (in twitter you can keep track of any mentions you might get)..well, it really is a great way for direct (well, not direct but you know what i mean) communication with the public.

Facebook. I hate me some Facebook. I much prefer Twitter- i dont really like how Facebook works and what its all about but again its a great communication and marketing tool for libraries to use. Linking to pictures via flickr or promoting upcoming events is a great way to establish and build a community around the library and gives you that extra ability to interact a little more directly with the library members.

Cockburn has a great facebook presence that I believe links to the twitter feed as well so while theres a little crossover between the two, users that may not be following us on both services don't miss out on any of the updates that are posted. I just completed my first unit in my grad dip of Library Stuff at Curtin and my first unit was on this type of stuff exactly (and i'm not too unfamiliar with it in the first place) but I REALLY cant think of too much information to write about onFacebook in the library field strangely enough.

The State Libraries facebook page has general information about them as well as links, photos and general information that their followers (sorry friends, getting my social network tools confused) would be interested in reading or viewing. Interstingly they also provide access (its just a link I suppose) to their catalogue through the facebook page.

Its essentially a hub for everything State Library related for the public - which is a good use of the Facebook service.

2 comments:

  1. Well, hope all is better soon! Will catch you on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the opposite to you - I love facebook and hate twitter!

    ReplyDelete